We continue to experiment with our Australian Spices, full of flavour and punch and then add all of those vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and lutein (keeps your macular healthy) how can you lose? We have been blending the spices and have some great combinations. Our favourite at the moment is Mountain Pepper and Lemon Myrtle. Add the blend to any dish you want to give a real zing to. The Mountain Pepper provides a great flavour with hot afternotes – add as much you like for even more flavour. I’ll post my recipe for fresh bush herb sauce next.
Spice Mix Recipe
- 10 Fresh Lemon Myrtle leaves
- 5 Fresh Mountain Pepper leaves
Chop finely in a food processor, store covered in the refrigerator. Add to all of your favourite dishes. Here’s one we made today.
- Bush Spice Blend
- Silver beet stalks
- Saute a chopped onion with 2 tbsp of the Bush Spice blend and ¼ tsp salt.
- Stir in any chopped vegetables, we used carrot, cauliflower, celery, silver beet stalks, parsnip and leek.
- Add 1.5lt stock and cook in a slow cooker for 6 hours or put on slow heat on the stovetop until veges are tender.
- Add chorizo if desired.
Taste and add more bush spice if you want even more flavour.
I have used this mix also for frittatas, curries and stir fries – a winner every time.