Native Creative Pickled Carrot Recipe
Today we ran a new cooking school called an Asian Style Lunch with an Australian Twist. After a recent trip to Malaysia and Vietnam, I thought our lovely Australian Spices would fit perfectly with many Asian dishes – the lunch recipes are a result of that thinking. Here is a pic of my take on Vietnamese pickled carrot: a Native Creative Pickled Carrot recipe. The recipe is easy and will keep for weeks in the fridge.I put these carrots into spring rolls, stir fried vegetables and San Choy Bao.
- 500g small carrots - sliced or finely julienned
- 2 tbsp anise myrtle - finely chopped
- 3 fresh red chilies - finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 cups rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ tsp sugar
- Prepare carrots and place in a large jar.
- Add anise myrtle, chilies, and garlic.
- In a small saucepan, boil the vinegar, water, salt & sugar for 5 minutes.
- Cool and store in the refrigerator.
- Pour liquid over the carrots and leave for 24 to 48 hours before eating.
At Peppermint Ridge Farm we are passionate about Australian native foods and spices. We run bush food cooking classes, tours of our Australian Spice Garden, and foodie events on site in Tynong North, Victoria. We are also available for private functions. Find us on our website: www.peppermintridgefarm.com.au.